Friday, June 30, 2006

Yesterday was my movie and shopping day. Thursday afternoons is my time to get away from the house and stuff and hang out with myself at the movies and then do the weekly grocery shop. I thoroughly enjoy and need this time! When a movie costs just $2 you can't go wrong!!

Yesterday's movie was "Failure to Launch", a romantic comedy about a 35 year old guy who just won't leave home. I had a good giggle (which I could do as there was only one other person in the theatre and he was cackling away as well). Afterwards I went to the grocery shop.

Now anyone who knows me knows that I am very like my mother, and I think I am getting more like her everyday. It scares me when I say something or do something that is exactly what she would say or do! Anyway, my kitchen cupboards are just like hers. There is always a large stock of stuff just in case I may need it. If there was ever an emergency I'm sure I could feed a neighbourhood for a week!! But yesterday I decided that I really should start depleting my stock of food. So I was armed for a "light" shop.

I wandered round the supermarket for nearly an hour, popping small things into my trolley that weren't going to clutter my cupboards. I was feeling really good about my "light" shop.....until I got to the checkout!!! As I unloaded my groceries I realised that I had, yet again, stocked my cupboards AND managed to spend nearly a two week grocery budget in the process. I was quite disappointed in myself.

I decided it's like being a junky..... you just can't give some things up. My cupboards look beautiful with lots of food in them. Knowing that I can just throw something together and that I'll have all the ingredients gives me strength. I feel like I can cope with life (and change) if just this one bit of my organised life doesn't have to change.

I know, I know. I can't take all this food home with me and I'm planning on having it all eaten by our departure date. It's just for now I'm not ready to part with it all. I still have 6 weeks!!

1 comment:

lord_of_shadows said...

Hey did you really aim to have a light shop I thought(well yeah it was huge)that you were just buying "extras":Pbut anyway you do have Enough food till we leave!!!