Sunday, November 26, 2006

Kiwi Kids and Cricket

On Saturday the weather was fine enough for my boys school teams to play cricket. It's a typical NZ sport that's played over summer. I have had many conversations with people of other nationalities who have no idea as to what cricket is or even how to make sense of the non sensical rules. That just makes me laugh. I have no idea about Amercian Football!

Anyway, kiwi kids play a form of cricket through their schools and my two were eager to join ijn on the fun. For the last two weeks it has been cancelled due to the weather but this week, despite a howling, cold wind, play went on. Isaac's opposing team failed to show so it was a win by default fo them. Caleb's team played and lost by just 11 runs. It was fun to watch them enjoy themselves.

We decided that since Isy's team was going to miss out on a game that the adults/parents would play with the kids and have fun. They threw me into the batting side and I have to admit I did quite well. I at least hit every ball that came my way...not like another mother who missed it everytime. I ran between the wickets and, even though my youngest child says I run like an old woman, I quite enjoyed it. Now that's quite and achievement for someone who really hates sports! In the evening the boys played tennis with some friends and I have even considered buying the family tennis rackets when we get to Auckland as there are tennis courts just around the corner from our house. Might be a good way to get some much needed exercise. I would prefer dancing lessons with my hubby but after years of trying to get him into them I might just have to flag that wee dream.

One of the things that I was thrilled about was the way that kiwi kids encourage each other in sports. There was lots of encouraging remarks to boost the morale of someone or just to praise them for a good job. These are 9 year olds I'm talking about. Even the parents were really ecouraging of all the kids, not just their own. It's something I haven't seen a lot of over the past years. Ecuadorians are so competitive that if someone deos a poor job they get hammered by the others. Even the kids are encouraged to discourage or demean someone else's efforts. I was extremely proud of the kids I saw play on Saturday. I hope they continue to behave in such a way as they grow up. What am amazing world we would have if everyone was so encourging.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice in your praise for cricket, you never actually bother to explain how the game is played. :-) I'm glad you guys get something out of it. As for me, I'll stick to the simpler sport of kicking a soccer ball around a field. Our Josh has taken an interest in basketball and has joined the IA basketball team. Much to our surprise he is taking it quite seriously these days!

Anonymous said...

Go cricket! The Aussies hammered the poms juwst recently. Always nice to see. Maybe you should join the local ladies team with that batting form!