Sunday, November 19, 2006

The sermon in church today was a thought provoking one for me. In fact it was one of the most meaningful services I've been to in a long time. Our home church has been working through what it calls it's "Roots" series which is looking at the christian worldview throughout the Bible. I think it is based on a recent book but they have incorporated, not only good teaching, but also cell phone poetry, art, flowers, creative writing and worship to make it even more meaningful. Today was the final in the series and was based on the book of Revelation.

What I liked about it was that the guy who spoke acknowledged all the nutty theology that some people expound and then got to the real root of the book....that Jesus is coming. But one thing, in particular, that he said resonated in my brain most of the day. "As Christians we look forward with expectation to that great and terrible day when Christ comes again". Terrible? I guess I had never really thought about it but it made me think that even though my heart cries Amen when I hear of His return there is also a part of me that doesn't want Him to find me lacking in any way, or to find others around me lacking in their lives. But I know that will happen. I know that I will not be perfect (nor will others be) but that it is by His GRACE that I will enter eternity to worship Him with the multitudes. I can't wait! I can't wait to see Him descend from heaven in all His glory, complete with trumpet sounds and angelic choirs. I've often wanted to draw/paint how I picture this great day but have always felt inadequate. It's a heart thing and I think I'd be too hard on myself if I didn't get it just right so I've never tried. Maybe, one day, when we get settled and I have a little time I might get into painting and see where my brush takes me.

One of my favourite worship songs in Spanish describes Christ sitting on the throne. It says something like this:

Seated on the throne, surrounded by light,
With eyes like fire and a face like the sun
when he opens his mouth His voice is like thunder
A great rainbow crowns Him
He is the lamb who couldn't be beaten
He is the beginning and then end
They throw their crowns before Him.

Now this does sound a lot more poetic in Spanish itself but this is the one song that inspires me to paint. Can't you just picture it? I think it would be beautiful. Yet I stop myself and always come back to the "great and terrible day". I don't want anyone to miss out. I guess it's up to me to make sure that no one does. You too huh?

2 comments:

Coloradonegrito said...

poderoso.
en majestad y reino, poderoso
poderoso,
en potestad e imperio, poderoso

Can't wait to see the painting.

see you in a few days
Te amo

Anonymous said...

we sing that song here too! It's even a blast to sign.

I can't wait either . . . and I think too that part of the "terrible" is that so many people will no longer have a chance. That is enough to give me pause right now!

Sounds like a VERY interesting study.

"Amen. Come, Lord Jesus."