Thursday, July 13, 2006

Homeschooling!
I've never been someone who thought they would homeschool but having survived it for the last 6 years I'm really pleased with myself....and my boys. We have been blessed with fabulous materials from the NZ Correspondence School and have had some amazing support from staff there. I have watched as other homeschooling friends have struggled to find a programme that suits their family (the choices seem endless) but with the NZCS we have had it easy. Every year they would send us a box of schoolwork, art and science supplies, books to read etc. It was always a little like Christmas when it arrived. Then the work would begin!

The boys have grown in their ability to self start. In the beginning (when they were little) I would sit over them and watch as they formed every letter or sounded out every word. Now, I leave them to it and they come to have their work marked. They are quite independent which has been great to see and foster. In fact there are times when they don't want me to help them at all.

Yesterday we cleaned out the schoolroom. We found lots of really cool work they did when they were smaller and even managed to find some missing schoolwork that we have hunted the house for (having 3 boys in the house means that nothing is ever found very easily!!!). We have taken lovingly painted pictures off the wall, packed up tapes and readers and have left just a small amount of work out for them to work on in the next few weeks. I think we are all keen to finish! Since we made the decision, last year, to return to NZ we have all struggled, at times, to keep up the motivation to study. As every homeschooler can attest, there are good days and bad days. I firmly believe that EVERY homeschooling parent deserves an apple!

So, we arrive in NZ in September and within 2 days the boys are back into the public school they attended in 2003. They are really looking forward to being with friends and in an environment they are familiar with. I am looking forward to having them out of the house for a whole 7 hours!! We are even going to teach them to walk to school by themselves!! I sure am going to miss them though and will be keen to be on top of their homework and stuff. It is a whole new adventure for them (and me). Watch out world....here they come!!!

1 comment:

lord_of_shadows said...

IT IS FUNNY BUT WHAT IS having 3 boys in the house means that nothing is ever found very easily!!! HUUU NOT EVEN YOU CAN FIND SOME THINGS!!!!!!!!!!