Wednesday, July 26, 2006


Yesterday Guayaquil celebrated 471 years since it's foundation. 471 years!!! It never ceases to amaze me just how long this country has been around. NZ has just celebrated it's 166th anniversary of the signing of the treaty of Waitangi (an agreement between the British Crown and the indigenous of NZ). That makes us still babies!!!

Once I went to the archeological museum and I couldn't get over the fact that I was looking at pots and artifacts (and there were a lot of pots!) from way before even the discovery of NZ. That's a very weird concept.

So Guayaquil partied away all of yesterday. Actually our neighbours partied away the night before but I think that was so they could sleep off their night the next day. There were street parades with floats and school bands and thousands of people out and about. We have friends staying with us this week so we popped into the newly opened McDonalds down the road. I think all of Guayaquil was there as well although I have to admit that the people making the food and serving it did a good and quick job. We don't usually go to McD's but we do have to go to anything new. My hubby did well with all the people. He hates lots of noise and fuss but you know me, I thrive on it. Surprisingly enough, he was the one who suggested it and he didn't complain even once!!!!

Our friends are leaving tomorrow so then we can get back into the packing. We sold our bed yesterday and that goes tomorrow so we'll be on the floor. Lots of stuff is walking out the door and that kind of makes things sink in a bit more. This weekend will be a tough one as we have our farewell at church and it looks like our cat will finally be going. Please pray for us as some of us are finding all this change and unsettledness really tough.

No comments: